- supported local industry group Pacific Islands Media Association (PIMA) since it was established in 2001;
- published the research journal Pacific Journalism Review - NZ's only such journal;
- sponsored scholarships for Pasifika undergraduate and postgraduate media students (nine so far - half of them already working in the media industry);
- established a new postgraduate Asia-Pacific journalism paper this year - the country's first;
- initiated international scholarships in Beijing, Jakarta and the Pacific; and
- provided impetus for Maori, Pasifika and other NZ media research.
Says Laban: "This centre demonstrates commitment to our cultural diversity, but also to critical thinking and the pursuit of excellence." Pictured: Luamanuvao and PMC director David Robie at the unveiling of the PMC plaque. Photo: Alan Koon.