|Jack Lapauve Jr. IMAGE: FB|
COMMENTARY: EMTV’s deputy news editor Jack Lapauve Jr in Port Moresby writes in defence of the newsroom’s decision to walk out in protest over the suspension of head of news and current affairs Sincha Dimara on February 7.
Impartiality and Objectivity.
Impartiality cannot be achieved by the measure of words in a story, it is achieved by:
- Avoiding bias towards one point of view
- Avoiding omission of relevant facts
- Avoiding misleading emphasis
All of which are stated in the EMTV News and Current Affairs Manual 2019 in section 17.5 under standard operations of the television code.
- READ MORE: Nineteen journalists suspended from Papua New Guinea news station in coverage row
- Pacific media groups rally behind suspended Papua New Guinea journalist
- PNG journalists walk off the job over sacking of news boss
- PNG Trade Union Council accuses State Enterprises Minister William Duma
- Background and other Pacific Media Watch reports on the EMTV dispute
By running the stories, the team was accused of bias.